2.06.2014

Rita Lucille

Today is going to be a more somber post.  I'm going to talk a bit about my Grandma, Rita.  She passed away 13 years ago today.  But it feels like yesterday, I even remember what I was wearing when I got the news...  I was at work, and left after my mom called me.  I couldn't fathom spending another moment at work doing such trivial things when I was needed elsewhere.  I can still visualize all of the family congregating at the nursing home to comfort my Grandfather in his unimaginable grief.  He was sitting in a chair just outside her room.  He looked so small, so broken, so sad.  I think that was the first time, as an adult, I hugged him.  His pain was palpable - I could feel it from his chest, heaving as he sobbed when I wrapped my arms around this small frail man.  

In grief, there is pain.  But with pain, there is release.

It was a sad day, but I'd like to remember the wonderful memories with Rita... 

She was amazing woman and I will always remember her fondly.  After someone passes away, you always think that there was never enough time...  But in my case, I wouldn't have done anything different with the time I was given with my loved Grandmother. 
 
She was sweet, kind, caring, and all the things a grandmother should be.  The best thing she ever taught me was unconditional love.  I knew that my parents had to love me because, you know, they're my parents.  But the unconditional love of a grandparent isn't always a "given" in this life.  She was the first person, outside of my parents, to ever give me that.  She also showed me, and told me. 
 
She showed me how much she cared, by being generous with her time.  I never felt like I inconvenienced her life by stopping by unannounced, or calling anytime of the day.  She was always there, for everyone in that way.  I guess that's what made her so special to me....  That willingness to always be there, no matter what. 
 
Thank you for all the life lessons Grandma, I hope I'm doing you proud!
 
September 1987 in Fridley, MN
Philip, Rita & Emily
 

Rest in Peace Rita Lucille - I hope you're watching all of us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment