2.12.2014

An Open Letter to my Ex

Valentine's Day is coming up, so in preparation for the big holiday there is a bit of an overshare today...  So if you don't like to read personal things about me, check back tomorrow when I have something different to say.  If an overshare is just what you needed, keep on reading. 

This is an open letter to all my ex-boyfriends.  It's for all of them.  So if I ever called you my boyfriend at some point in my life, this one's for you.  So if you know one of them you can pass this on, or not - Enjoy. 


Image Source


Dear Ex Boyfriend,

I hope that someday this letter finds you, wherever you are in life.  You have made me overjoyed and disappointed all at the same time.  I am happy about the time we spent together.  You taught me so much about relationships, but more importantly you taught me about myself. 

I still think of all you fondly from time to time... 

When I listen to If You Could Only See by Tonic, I think of you.

When I listen to Wonderwall by Oasis, I think of you.

When I walk into a museum, I think of you.

When I eat shrimp cocktail, I think of you.

When I cross state lines, I think of you.

When I get butterflies in my stomach, I think of you.

When I hesitate in a new relationship, I always think of you.

You don't leave me memory, no matter how many years have past, and you'll never go away for good.  These are the moments I look back on and feel grateful for the "us" that we had.  Don't feel bad that things ended, there was nothing left to give.  I realize, because of you, that I don't need a relationship to be happy.  Happiness comes from me, not you.  You have contributed to my joy as well as my sorrow.  There are scars that you made that no one will be able to repair, but I prefer to be damaged than not know what love is.

I'm glad that you have moved on with your life.  I know we don't talk anymore, and that's the way it has to be.  That has nothing to do with you, it's all about my open-wounds and how I've chosen to heal them.  Seeing someone from my past can make me feel so insecure about myself, and I don't need that in my life. 

Even though I'm single, I still believe that I will find someone for me eventually.  I won't seek it out, or make plans to date anytime soon.  Been there, done that.  No matter what I do, I can't wrap my mind around a committed relationship in the near future.  I think it just needs to come to me organically.  Someday, someway this will happen. 

I wish you well, and I hope that you love the life you've chosen for yourself.  I also hope that you can appreciate the time you had with me, if it was for many years or just a few months out of your life.  You weigh on me when I think of what I want in a partner.  Thank you for all the wisdom you've brought me.    

Sincerely,
Emily


Wheeew....  I was second guessing each paragraph of that letter.  But if your reading this, that means I had to the guts to post this (yikes). 

That's it for now.  Do any of you have words of wisdom from an ex?  I'd love to know in the comments if you care to share. 

Thanks for reading! 




   

2 comments:

  1. Yeah girl! I totally believe in the power of opening up the sealed box from time to time and dust off the memories. Told KC about a beau from 30 years ago, she had never heard of him. I have some more recent ones- one my heart just can't seem to stop whining for :) For me? and for you? you just go on. Still bills to pay, job to work, life to live. I like to think about sharing this life I have with another and truly, not sure the "L" word needs to be a part of it. Thanks for the opportunity to remember and dream a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patty, I'm glad I made you think of possibilities. I was trying to be positive as well as stating that you don't need a companion to be happy. Happiness comes from within. And it's so fun to share it with someone when the time is right.

      Delete