1.04.2014

Why did Emily move to Fargo, North Dakota?

Well, I thought I'd address a pressing question I've been getting from friends, colleagues, and total strangers... (more on all those strangers in a bit) - Why did you move to Fargo?

Downtown Fargo


So it all started almost two years ago with the current company I work for.  I had been enlisted to help cover the other office while a co worker was out on vacation.  The only problem was that I lived in a suburb of Minneapolis, and I was needed in Fargo, North Dakota.  That's over 230 miles away!  But I thought it would be a nice change and I was helping out in the process, it was only a week - right?!?

Now lets fast forward about 10 months.  I was still working in the twin cities, loving my job, when my boss came by and talked to me about the possibility of relocating to the Fargo office.  I thought to myself "yeah, right!!!  Why would I move hundreds of miles away from everyone I know???"  It was way out of the realm of possibilities in my world... at that time. 

Fast forward to a month later...  After lots of soul searching, I decided to take the risk.  I was a single woman in her early thirties with no children, unless you can count my fur kid, and no partner.  Nothing was holding me back.  So I thought this would be an "adventure".  And what an ADVENTURE it's been.

I'm from a fairly large city, Minneapolis, MN.  I've lived there for most of my life and I am accustom to the way of living in the city.  Everyone minds their own business and strangers rarely talk, unless you're at a bar or something.  So it's a rarity to get someone to strike up a conversation with you unless you know them. 

Fargo is so different from Minneapolis.  The people here are SUPER friendly, it was almost "annoying friendly" for a while...  But I'm getting used to it more and more everyday.  Even the cashier at my local grocery store wants to know my name.  Not in a creepy way (which is what I was thinking when I first moved here) but in a "I want to know my regular customer" kind of a way.  It's actually kind of nice that people from here take the time to talk to a total stranger, but it still catches me off guard sometimes.

Now, when I go back to the Twin Cities and encounter rude or "short" sales people, I sort of giggle to myself.  It takes hardly any effort to be kind and make someone's day by having a quick conversation at the cash register.  Surely the people from Fargo could teach a thing or two to those dang city folk, like me!

All in all, it's been a fun experience so far.  The sub-zero temperate can leave anytime soon.  We are under a "Blizzard Warning" as I type this up...  So if you ever come to Fargo bring a warm coat, and hit me up.  We can go grab some grub somewhere, and a guarantee that the server will know our first names by the time we leave! 

So, have any of you encountered the same problem with too much, or lack of kindness if you've traveled or relocated?  I'd be interested in hearing about differences in local behavior around the country.  Post in the comments if you care to share.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. We have an office in Fargo where I work and I love the guys who run it. I would be e to cone visit you too if I make a trip down there. I love t he picture of old downtown too. Super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment on the photo. I toolkit this spring when I was here for a visit. Let me know if you ever come up to Fargo. We will have to grab a drink and catch up.

      Delete