1.05.2014

Scary Christmas Story

Let's back up a few weeks to Christmas time.  I know, you are all probably way over the holidays.  The over eating, the over drinking, and the extra lbs. that go along with all that. 

Well, let's talk about traditions.  My immediate family (Mom, Dad & Brother) have a tradition of opening gifts and having dinner together on Christmas Eve at my parents house, and then we have an extended family gathering on Christmas Day.  This is the first time I was unable to attend the Christmas festivities, since I had just moved to another state. (more on my why I moved here.)

I had talked to my mom a few weeks before Christmas and she was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to make it because of the distance, potential bad roads, as well as my work schedule.  I talked to my immediate family on Christmas Eve while everyone was opening their gifts - I had sent my gifts via UPS so they would be able to open something from me. 

As I listened to everyone's reactions to the gifts, I wanted to attempt to see them the next day, if at all possible.  I knew that I had to get up super early to make the 240 mile drive.  I wanted to allow for extra drive time in case the roads were bad.  I wasn't fully decided if I was going to make the drive when I went to bed on the 24th, but at 5:30am on Christmas day I checked the weather and it looked like it would be a clear drive to Minneapolis. 

So I told NO ONE I was coming down for Christmas.  I wanted my mom to be surprised...  And boy, was she! 

*Side note:  My parents just sold their house and are now relocating to Florida.  The Minneapolis house is scheduled to close at the end of January.  So this would be the last opportunity to be in the house I grew up.  It needed a proper "good-bye"!



As I pulled up to the house about 4 hours later, my mom was talking to the neighbor in her garage about their pending move.  I parked my car and walked across the cul-de-sac.  My mom's back was facing me as I said "Merry Christmas"!  She whipped around and immediately started to cry as she gave me a huge hug.  I never thought I would get that reaction from her. 

When she finally let go of her momma-bear-grip hug.  I looked at her and she was crying, so of course I start asking her if she's okay - I was concerned that something was wrong!  She said "I'm so happy you came!"  So as we are talking my eyes start to well up with tears because, I think we both realized at that moment, this would be our last Minnesota Christmas together. 

Now we joke saying that I "scared the crap" out of her on Christmas!  There is nothing better that the reaction of her face when she turned around and saw me standing there - Best gift ever!  That image will be forever engrained in my head.  Love you mommy!

Have any of you ever surprised a loved one like that?  Leave a comment if you care to share.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome surprise for your parents! Keep the posts coming. I look forward to reading them everyday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Tami! I'll keep posting

      Delete