4.04.2014

Fashion Friday: Color Code

At long last Fashion Friday is here!  After I did my last Fashion Friday post (here) I realized I should have talked about how I organize my closet.  So today is the day, lets talk about how to organize a closet.

As you can see from my photo I COLOR CODE my closet.  For me, this makes the process of putting laundry away and getting ready so much easier.  I figure, if it's not in the right place it must be dirty.

Here is the method that works for me...

I categorize by type then color. 
 
Tank Tops
Sleeveless Tops
Short Sleeve Tops
3/4 Tops
Long Sleeve Tops
Sweatshirt/Workout Jacket Tops
Blazers
Pants

Then I color code within the category going left to right.

Whites
Creams
Tans
Browns
Reds
Oranges
Yellows
Greens
Blues
Purples
Greys
Black




Having my clothing in a color coded order also helps me not "over-buy" specific types of clothing.  So if I notice I 5 sleeveless tops in black, I won't buy anymore unless I want to get rid of something already hanging in that category. 

It's also helpful because this method shows me what I'm missing.  Especially with tank tops.  I like to wear a coordinating tank under most of my tops..  I like to have at least one of every color.  Obviously I have a ton of black and white, because that goes with most things I own.  But it's nice to use a red or blue once and a while.  Like I said, it helps me fill in the gaps.

Before I used this method I would over purchase the same items over and over.  It's true what they say, we are always attracted to the same type of items.  So when I would get home after shopping, I realized (after I fell in love with the item) that I already have too many similar tops. 

So in the spirit of saving money and really "seeing" your clothes I would highly encourage you to organize your closet in a category and color order. 

So do any of you already use this method?  I'd love to know in the comments below, if you care to share.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment